Mobile game developer Jam City Inc., which is in growth mode following a $145 million raise in January 2018, acquired Berlin-based game studio 231 Play on April 4.
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
231 Play develops mobile games and was established in 2016 by brothers Matthias (a UC Santa Cruz alumnus) and Thomas Hoechsmann after they sold their first venture, mobile game studio Game Doctors to internet gaming site Zynga Inc. in 2011 for an undisclosed sum. The Hoeschmann brothers will continue to manage operations at the office, which will be converted into Jam City’s first German outpost.
“Jam City has been incredibly successful in building a portfolio of some of the most popular mobile games in the world in a highly competitive market. We share their same core values and are very excited to be part of the global team,” Matthias Hoechsmann said in a statement.
Jam City now operates eight studios internationally from its headquarters in Culver City. In November 2018, Jam City acquired Toronto-based Uken Studios Inc. for an undisclosed sum.
Jam City’s Jan. 28 fundraise, worth $145 million and led by JPMorgan Chase Bank, was the game maker’s largest since its 2010 founding. Jam City Chief Executive Chris DeWolfe told the Business Journal the funds would be used “primarily for mergers and acquisitions ...to establish ourselves in different genres and locations.”
Tech reporter Samson Amore can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (323) 556-8335. Follow him on Twitter @samsonamore.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Silicon Beach Report April 4: Snap Gets Into Gaming
- Jam City Acquires Bingo Pop Mobile Game
- Jam City Raises $145 Million for Mobile Game Acquisitions
- Scopely Acquires FoxNext Games
- Jam City Hires Disney Veteran to Lead Game Operations
- Mobile Game Developer Playtika Acquires Seriously Digital
- Jam City Encouraging Midterm Voting With Mobile PSA
- Silicon Beach Report July 11: Overwatch League Finals to Air on ESPN, ABC