The company’s visual coding language is designed for kids between the ages of 5 and 9. The company’s platform, called CodeSpark Academy, has a word-free drag-and-drop interface as well as creative assets that allow kids to design and code their own video games and interactive stories.
The creative assets include cartoon-like ch
The platform can be accessed via the web, as well as on iOS and Android devices.
Because the coding language is visual, Hosford said, kids don’t have to be able to read or speak English.
Added Hosford, “We try to introduce the kids to the power of creating so that they look at technology as a tool and not as something to be consumed.”
CodeSpark charges a $9.99 monthly subscription fee, or $79.99 annually. The company makes its platform available free to public schools, libraries and nonprofits.
It also offers a dashboard for public school teachers that allows them to set up a virtual coding classroom, document individual student profiles and track student progress.
“We can reach more kids and more places by giving the program to those (institutions) for free. But also, it’s a good way for us to connect with parents who would eventually consider purchasing the product,” Hosford said.
He said the company’s platform has more than 3 million student users every month. It has raised a total of $5.6 million to date from investors including Pasadena-based Idealab, Kapor Capital, PGA Venture Partners, Felton Group and Fusion Fund.
CodeSpark has been profitable for more than a year, Hosford said. “We’ve doubled revenue and our staff in the last six months,” he said.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, CLICK HERE.
Stories You May Also Be Interested In
- Game Targets New Type Of Programmers
- LA Companies Play Leading Role in Rising AR, VR Industry
- Thirteen Lune Offers Minority-Owned Beauty Brands a Digital Marketplace
- In Remote Era, LA Litigators Get Ready for Their Closeup
- Halloween Businesses Brace for a Scary Season
- Facing Glut of Supplies, PPE Makers Pivot Again
- Sunbit Brings Buy Now, Pay Later Approach to Necessities
- Perch Raises Seed Round for Credit Building Platform